So tomorrow is my little girls first proper morning at Pre-School and to be honest, my emotions are all over the place! I guess most mothers feel this way though right?
The thought of handing her over, to who are (at the moment) complete strangers, really scares me. I’ve been the one looking after her up until now. I know her better than she probably knows herself. I know what she’s trying to tell me when everyone else has no idea what she’s saying. I know what she likes and doesn’t like. How she’s going to react in certain situations and what will and won’t work when trying to calm her down. Isn’t it going to take them ages to figure all this out too? And what’s it going to be like for my little girl until they do? Is she going to feel frustrated because mommy isn’t there to translate what she’s saying?
I have all these questions and many more. I should probably just talk openly to the staff at the Pre-School about my concerns but I have already expressed some and i don’t want them to think I’m too overprotective, even though I probably am a little bit. (More about that when I get round to writing a post about being a mum to an angel and a rainbow).
The main thing is that I know my little girl is ready. She craves the interaction with other children that I can’t give her. She needs some of her own little friends. And despite going to different toddler groups, we haven’t been able to find that for her. I also need to gain some ‘me time’ before I go mad lol.
It took me ages to actually find a Pre-School or Nursery we both liked. We visited the majority of the ones in our area until we finally both agreed on one (I had a check list that a lot didn’t match).
- Friendly, approachable staff that haven’t just finished school themselves. (I’m sorry but i’m a mom and half the time even i don’t know what i’m doing. No childcare qualification is going to change that! I have one of those too!).
- Grass or rubbery floor stuff outside (you know like in parks lol) NOT concrete! (why do so many have bloody concrete!?).
- Small group sizes (my little girl doesn’t like too much comotion).
- Homely feel.
- Focus more on children having fun rather than stats and targets.
- My little girl feels comfortable there (she clung to me for the duration of the tour at some).
- Clean and safe (obvious i know, but i went to a couple that had broken toys that hadn’t been thrown away and others that were just so messy).
The one we picked is only open 9-12 or till 1 if they stay for lunch but this is a compromise i’m willing to make for the right setting. (I was aiming for 8-1). The Pre-School she is going to is in a church hall, so mainly one big open room but it is sectioned off into different areas. They have a max of 20 children at one time but it’s always been a lot less when we’ve been which is perfect. The staff are all ‘mature’ and there is a lovely little outside area. Overall i’m really pleased with it plus my little girl has been asking to go back everyday since our visit.
I’m sure nursery is going to do her the world of good and i’m sure she’ll love it, so i need to stop worrying so much and look forward to a few hours to myself.
Anybody else’s little ones starting nursery soon? How are you feeling?
For those with little ones already in nursery, did it help improve their behaviour at all?
linking up with: